On 8 June 2018, the NSW Government announced a temporary assistance package for small to medium-sized businesses in the NSW-Victoria border region which have experienced impacts on their sales or profit margins or both as a result of the introduction of the Container Deposit Scheme.
The temporary assistance package consists of financial assistance and business advisory assistance.
The Government has asked the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) to assess applications for assistance and make recommendations to the Government on the levels of assistance to be provided to eligible businesses.
IPART will assess applications based on the following criteria set by the Government:
- The business must be a small to medium-sized, independently-owned retail business.
- The business must be adversely impacted by competition with retailers in Victoria as a result of the Container Deposit Scheme.
- It must be located within 80kms by road of the NSW-Victorian border.
- The nature of the retailer’s business means that purchase of packaged beverages (that is, multi-packs of more than six (6) containers, such as cases of soft drink and beer) is not incidental to other business activities.
- The impact on the business is significant because container beverage sales revenue from packaged beverages (that is, multi-packs of more than six (6) containers, such as cases of soft drink and beer), is a relatively large proportion of beverage sales revenue.
An application form is available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you wish to apply and you think your business may meet the criteria set:
- Complete the application form
- Include the requested information, which is required to calculate any business’s financial assistance, and
- Return the form and information by email to email@example.com by 31 August 2018.
If you have any questions or want to discuss your potential eligibility, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact either Brett Everett on (02) 9290 8423 or Jennifer Vincent on (02) 9290 8418 at IPART.
The second part of assistance available is through the Business Connect, a dedicated and personalised NSW Government service that provides business advice to help small and medium businesses. The locally-based advisor is Kevin Bascomb, 0402 857 041, email@example.com. This service is heavily subsidised and includes 4 hours of advisory services at no cost. Support includes marketing, budgeting, business planning, pricing & costing and other business matters.
Download Application form here. Please email completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org